Sunday, June 12, 2011

living on campus




So the university I am at is very high end. The fact that all the classes are taught in English is attractive and very prestigious! They also have beautiful roses and other glowers all over the campus and today the gardeners were out. I noticed this on my way back from dinner! If you can't tell what the picture is. The round bushes were cut so there was a bare place where the face would be and the green part is the hair, and the bush has giant sunglasses on!

Other interesting things from living in the dorms includes, f
ans are forbidden until it is hot enough to use them. we think it may be because they don't want the waste of electricity. All of the lights all over turkey have motion detectors. So all the hallways in most places, in the schools, hotels, bathrooms, etc have motion senor lights. so it looks like you are going down a dark scary hallway, and then BAM! the lights come on. its annoying though when you are waiting in dark scary hallway and not moving enough, and the lights keep going out.

Also I was told I would have a Turkish roommate!!!! I was NOT expecting this! My roommate for the project did not end up coming, so I have been enjoying having the peace and quiet of not having a roommate, and extra space to myself. Well, the univer
sity doesn't understand my position. They think I am just another foreign exchange student for the summer. With all my responsibilities, it would be very detrimental for me to have a roommate, especially one that isn't Christian. Most students living in this dorm are about 18-20, so not only is there an age gap, but I am still working while here, and my room is a place of rest and comfort, away from distractions and a rest from the language and culture. I think they understand I can't have a roommate, but the language/cultural barrier makes me worried sometimes.
the view from my dorm window

No comments: