Thursday, June 23, 2011

Living in History!




One thing I have been stuck by the past couple weeks is where I really am at. I know I am in the Middle East, but this is where history happened. Paul walked these roads and next week I am going to visit Ephesus, one of the most famous churches in the bible. This country has the city where the people where first called Christians! This morning I read about Paul traveling to Attalia, the people here know it as Antalya. It's SO COOL! I can't believe this is where it all began. The other day we were in the middle of the city, and stay this tall pillar. Our friend told us even though it's not labeled, and almost no one knows why it is there, it is one of the oldest places in the city. It is a pillar Rome built to commemorate the Roman Empire converting to Christianity. Right here! Right in this city!!!!
Last week I got to visit the home of a man who in this century became one of the first 100 known Christians here. He told us about how the government skips over the part of history when Christianity ruled here. The people know nothing. We mention we are going to see the 7 churches of revelation in the bible. When we explain the first Christian churches were in this country they are amazed. I pray that God would bring this people back to himself.

My friend also told me how he took a team of about 9 Muslim raised Christians to another Middle Eastern country to share with them about Jesus. They did so by sharing the culture and history of This Country with friends they would meet. They knew they should keep good records of all the people they met and talked to and who was interested in knowing more about Christ, to give other friends of theirs in the area so they could follow up with them. At the end of the summer, they counted up that 37 people prayed to receive Christ!!! That is incredible for this part of the world! In This Country alone, only about 7 people came to faith through our friends in the past Year! so 37 is amazing! they are going to try to do this again in the future, because God is obviously moving through these people to reach others like them!

I got this incredible picture as I was reading through Acts the other day. This is where it all began. What if the Gospel came back to Antioch. it would have gone out to the whole world and finally come back again. Wow. I hope Jesus is coming back soon! maybe we won't see it in our day, but I can't help but think it is close!


No comments: